I’ve been spending a lot of my “online time” lately searching for apartments in Raleigh. At first I was using Craigslist, but then I discovered Padmapper, which takes Craigslist ads and puts them on a google map so you can see where they are. Since I’m not familiar AT ALL with Raleigh, it’s great for me to see where the apartment is and how far away from the university it is. You can also narrow the search depending on how much you want to pay, if you want a full lease or are looking to rent a room, and the number of bedrooms/bathrooms you want. You can also set it up so it emails you when new listings with your preferences are added. But the best feature, by far, is that you can favorite postings (they turn green on the map) or remove them from the map if they don’t fit your criteria.
I have removed quite a few listings based on the following criteria:
- They don’t accept pets. Charlie has to have a place to live too!
- There are three male roommates looking for a fourth. I might not be as picky if I don’t find something and I’m getting down to the wire, but I’m not super psyched about living with all guys.
- The other roommates are all NCSU undergrad students. I want to live with real adults.
- Any listing that is written in all caps or using no caps, bad grammar or has egregious spelling errors.
- There was one place that sounded great, except it was 4-20 friendly. Thanks, but no thanks.
- There was another that said “No bedbug, no roach”. Yeah but I can just imagine the other critters that might be running around!
- A couple of the lower-priced listings have mentioned that they would be great for “low-income” people. Although I will definitely have a low income, I can only imagine the state of places that outright say that!
I’m not worried about not finding an apartment, but I’m glad that I’ve started looking early to get an idea of prices and the different areas around the university. But that being said, if you know of someone looking for a roommate in the Raleigh area and they are normal and like cats, send them my way!