What you will see next Wednesday if you are my Facebook friend
On Wednesday I switched over from the old Facebook to Facebook Timeline. Normally this wouldn’t be blog worthy, but I began to notice a pattern. As I went through my old status updates from when I first moved here in 2009 to around mid-2010, I noticed a pattern. First of all, I updated my status a ton. Too much. Secondly, the majority of my status updates were negative. Here is a sampling just from 2009:
- “se siente pésimo” feels awful
- “is really hoping that this week will be better than the last…”
- “this rain is not helping my mood :(“
- “is frustrated.”
- “is booooooooooored (and didn’t think she would say that at least until august)”
- “sometimes life just messes with you”
- “is sick in bed :(“
- “tiene frio, para variar…brrrr!” is cold, as usual…brrrr!
- “rain rain go awayyyyyyy”
- “shouldn’t have eaten that pie de limon right before class…uuugh :(“
- “unfair. really unfair.”
- “cansadita…long day tomorrow”
- “está inquieta” is restless
- “will never be a morning person…ugh!”
- “stupid stupid stupid stupid futbol game is cramping my style”
- “tengo tuto pero no tengo donde dormirrrr….que frustrante” I’m tired but I don’t have a place to sleep…how frustrating
- “puuuucha” darrrrrn
- “creo que me voy a resfriar….que lata” I think I’m getting a cold…what a drag
- “me duele la guataaaaa…y otro dia muy largo 😦 puuuucha.” My stomach hurts…and another really long day 😦 darrrrn
- “gruñona…tengo calor, hambre y sueño :(” grumpy…I’m hot, hungry and tired 😦
Of course there were some positive ones thrown in there too, but it struck me that, according to my Facebook presence, I was either sick, tired, cold, hot, or frustrated for the majority of the first year and a half that I lived in Chile. And I don’t remember it being that way in real life. Sure, there were some rough patches, like when I was working 48 hours a week teaching English and I got really sick as a result, but I honestly don’t remember being so darn whiny all the time! And why was I sick like every other day? And why was I so cryptic? What was so unfair? Why was I so frustrated? I honestly don’t remember.
I was talking to some friends about this the other night, and both of them (who arrived to Chile before me and pre-Facebook era) said “Thank God I didn’t have Facebook when I first moved here!” This led me to think that perhaps I used Facebook as an outlet to let off steam, and simply didn’t update when things were peachy keen.
I also think that now I am simply more private with Facebook, due to the people who I am friends with. Yes, I have privacy controls and lots of people are on the “Restricted” list, but sometimes I am paranoid and don’t absolutely trust that those lists work. So now when I’m frustrated or tired or hot or cold or sick, I complain to my friends or family, instead of social media. 🙂
Besides the negative status updates, I really didn’t find anything too embarrassing in my 8 years of Facebook use. It turns out that I deleted my wall (yes, you could do that back in the day) at the end of 2004, so that probably saved me a lot of clicking “hide from timeline”.
Have you found anything interesting while switching over to Timeline?